You’re reading a Kindle book and you come across a particularly well-written passage or diagram that you want to save or share. But what format should you save it in? PDF is a universal format that can be opened on any device, but Kindle books are in the AZW3 format, which is specific to Kindle devices. Luckily, there are a few different ways that you can convert your Kindle book into a PDF.
Method 1: Use Calibre
Calibre is a free and open-source e-book manager that can be used to convert between different e-book formats. In addition to being able to convert your Kindle book to PDF, Calibre can also be used to sync your e-books with a variety of different devices and even create books from scratch.
To convert your Kindle book to PDF using Calibre:
- Download and install Calibre on your computer.
- Connect your Kindle device to your computer using a USB cable.
- Click the “Add books” button in Calibre and select the AZW3 file from your Kindle’s “Documents” folder.
- Click the “Convert books” button and select PDF as the output format.
- Click “OK” to start the conversion process. Once the process is finished, you’ll find the PDF file in your Calibre library.
Method 2: Use Online Converters
If you don’t want to install any additional software on your computer, you can use one of the many online converters that are available. These converters are easy to use and don’t require any installation, but they typically have lower quality than those produced by desktop software like Calibre. In addition, online converters usually have file size limits, so if your Kindle book is particularly large, you may not be able to convert it using this method. However, for most people, an online converter will get the job done just fine.
To convert your Kindle book to PDF using an online converter:
- Go to https://www.zamzar.com/convert/azw3-to-pdf/ in your web browser. This website offers a free conversion up to 100 MB—more than enough for most Kindle books. If your book is larger than this, you can try one of the other online converters listed at https://www.epubor.com/convert-kindle-to-pdf.html
- Click the “Choose Files” button and select the AZW3 file from your computer’s hard drive. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the file into the box on the website.
- Enter your email address in the box provided and click “Convert.” Zamzar will send you an email with a link to download the converted PDF file once it has finished processing your request—usually within minutes. Note that this email may end up in your spam folder, so check there if you don’t see it in your inbox within a few minutes.
- Click the “Download” button in the email and open the PDF file on your computer. If prompted, enter the password that was included in the email message (the same password that was used for Zamzar’s website). This password is necessary because Zamzar uses 128-bit encryption when converting files—the same level of encryption used by banks!
- Once you have opened the PDF file, feel free to save it wherever you like on your computer for future reference or sharing with others.
Method 3: Convert Your Kindle books to PDFs
First, you’ll need to download the book to your computer. To do this, open up the Kindle app and click on the book cover. Then click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner and select “Download,” as seen in the screenshot below.
Once the book has been downloaded, open it in the Kindle app. Then click on “File” in the menu bar and select “Print.” A print dialog box will pop up. In the “Destination” drop-down menu, select “Save as PDF.” Then click “Save” and choose where you want to save the file on your computer. And that’s it! Your Kindle book is now a PDF that you can read on any device or share with anyone you want.
When it comes time for you to want to save or share content from your Kindle book, know that you have options! You can use desktop software like Calibre or an online converter like Zamzar — both methods will result in a high-quality PDF document of whatever content you’re looking to save or share from your original AZW3 file.